The Mud Colony Blog is now closed ! We are a very active PAGE on FACEBOOK , and the BLOGROLL is where we are all listed as well ! See the right hand side of this page for BOTH !!




Sunday, August 26, 2012

Featured Mud Colony Blogger -Lydia Kwong



MC;  What do you love the most about being a potter/ceramist/clayworker? 
LK;Having my hands on clay is what I absolutely love the most. Clay becoming an extension of my fingers, hands, arms.....body and blending together with my soul. My works are truly parts of me. 


 MC: What inspires you ? 
LK;This is a tough one. I need to say I don't know what doesn't inspire me.  A piece of paper, any artist's work, a feeling, a pattern, an idea, a book, a technique, a material, my friends............the list is endless.

 
MC: Tell us about the processes involved in producing your work ?  
LK; Idea comes first. It usually comes in the form of a random thought out of no where. It probably is the distilled result of many unconscious thoughts in the back of my head. Sometimes, I have so many ideas and they are bursting to come out.
 I don't like writing or drawing them down. I feel I may alter the essence of the idea and limit it from evolving further if I put it down on paper. 
 Since I only get to work on clay on weekends, the idea would then be further developed consciously through out the weekdays.  The work will also evolve on its own when I start making it.  

 MC:Describe your studio
LK; Oh, sadly I don't own a studio yet. I go to my friends' studios. One on Saturday and the other on Sunday. 





MC: How do you market  and sell your work? 
LK;I don't do that yet. I think I will start doing that in the near future. Selling is hard for me. I am very attached to my works. But I do like giving them to friends. To know that my works are in good homes.

MC: How did you find Mud Colony?And  what impact ,( if any), has it had on your
blogging?  
LK; Honestly I don't remember exactly how. I guess I must have stumbled upon it while browsing online. Lucky me!  It is awesome to find kindred spirit online and I love seeing other potters' works.  I started blogging because I have so much to say about potting,and pouring my thoughts out online is working for me
 MC: Are there any  clay blogs that you ALWAYS look at ,and why?  
LK;The ones listed on my blog are my daily inspiration. They keep me sane when my hands are not on clay.

MC: What would be YOUR advice to someone just beginning their practice?
LK;Do what makes YOU smile.  The rest comes naturally. 
Lydia Kwong is a regular contributor to Mud Colony with her BLOG 'Clay Affair'
and is on Instagram as 'lydiainlalaland'

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! It means a lot coming from another potter. :)

      Delete
  2. I love your work Lydia! It seems you really do have a natural talent for working with clay. Your pieces are so unique and I love the fact that what you make just sort of comes to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Lydia
    Nice to revisit your profile here that the lovely Adriana has reposted for us all.
    I'll be popping over to check your blog again soon

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment !!